Manager, Chamber of Commerce
LACDC/Los Alamos Chamber of Commerce
Los Alamos Commerce and Development Corporation (LACDC) is seeking an experienced professional to serve as the Manager of the Los Alamos Chamber of Commerce. LACDC is a private non profit economic development firm consisting of multiple complimentary programs including the Los Alamos Chamber of Commerce, Los Alamos Main Street, Discover Los Alamos, a destination marketing organization, projectY co-work Los Alamos, and the Los Alamos Research Park. The Chamber Manager reports directly to the LACDC Executive Director.
The Chamber Manager is responsible day to day operations of the Chamber of Commerce. The Manager’s primary responsibilities include direction and management in the design and implementation of the strategic and operating plan of work, management of the annual budget and other funding sources, and interaction with the LACDC Executive Director, Chamber members, and the public. Excellent communication skills and experience running a business, non profit or large program are required.
- Responsible for the internal operations of the Chamber to ensure that the program is effectively managed to be responsive to member needs. Recommend to the LACDC Executive Director such changes in structure and procedures as needed. Responsible for the successful execution of Chamber events.
- Oversee activities related to maintaining effective member relations and work with staff and volunteers to expand membership base. Grow Chamber membership to a level that will ensure necessary income for the operation and programs.
- Foster daily working environment that values teamwork and ensures the highest levels of customer service and volunteerism.
- In concert with the LACDC’s Executive Director, develop the Chamber budget and relate budget to program goals and maintain responsibility for all expenditures within the framework of the budget.
- Serve as the spokesperson for the Chamber and communicate the organization’s position on business community issues.
- The Chamber Manager represents the Chamber in meetings of local organizations. Maintain communication with members through on-site visits, publications, and emails and in concert with local media.
- Work closely with LACDC programs and other partner organizations locally, and across the state to address economic development initiatives.
- Represent business interests in the community by playing a key role in advocacy on behalf of the Chamber and in line with Chamber objectives. Coordinate with the LACDC Executive Director under the directions of the LACDC board to evaluate and advocate on specific local, state, and federal legislative issues.
- Operate with a non-partisan philosophy while maintaining and championing the Chamber’s business advocacy focus and mission.
- Plan and execute Chamber events, including but not limited to Business Breakfasts, Take out Talks, Coffee and Connections, Business After Hours and Chamberfest.
- Graduated from an accredited college or university with a degree in business (preferred) or closely related field
- Minimum of 5 years of directly applicable and progressively responsible experience is required
- Strong organizational, time management and priority placement skills
- Must be a self-starter, detail orientated, reliable and maintain a professional demeanor
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and be a team player
- Superior verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to function both independently and in a team environment
- Working knowledge Los Alamos County (preferred)
- Strong people and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work flexible hours to include some evening and weekend work
- Ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced, work environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite as well as database technology (Chambermaster preferred)
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds regularly and up to 50 pounds occasionally; physical activity required
This position is a salaried, full-time position. Nights and weekends are occasionally required. Occasional overnight travel required.